- Nominations are solicited from the University Community
- Nomination packets are due December 10th, 2021. Nominations should be submitted to Professor Kyle Miller, Chair of the Senate Committee on Honorary Degrees at email@example.com and must include:
- the 2021-22 Honorary Degrees Nomination Form
- statement explaining the basis for honoring the individual and referring to the selection criteria whenever possible;
- vita (resume or biographical description);
Supplemental materials which may include:
- Additional information as appropriate (at least two letters of support, materials and writings that attest to the eminence of the candidate, etc.);
- A letter from the college dean most appropriate to the nominated individual confirming that s/he is aware of and concurs with the nomination.
- Nomination packets are reviewed and discussed by the committee (if necessary, additional information can be requested from the nominator)
- The committee submits a final list of candidates to the University Senate for future commencements for a span of three years. (EX: Commencement 2021, 2022, and 2023)
- The University Senate approves nominations and forwards them to the Chancellor
- The Chancellor invites candidates
- Only candidates who are able to come to Syracuse to receive an Honorary Degree may have such a degree conferred.
NOTE: Candidates who have been approved, but are unable to come to Syracuse, may be deferred for one (1) year. After that time, the candidates can be re-nominated.
Updated September 2021